Musharraf treason: Order on provision of documents reserved till June 13

ISLAMABAD: The special court trying former President General (retd) Pervez Musharraf under Article 6 of the constitution has reserved the order on provision of additional documents to the defence counsel till June 13, reported on Thursday.

The three-judge bench headed by Justice Faisal Arab, comprising Justice Tahira Safdar and Justice Yawar Ali, resumed the hearing of high profile treason case today.

During today’s proceedings, Prosecutor Akram Sheikh said that Pervez Musharraf declared emergency on November 3, 2007 as an army chief and did not authorize the new army chief to lift the emergency. Pervez Musharraf, the then president of Pakistan, kept the authority to himself.

Akram Sheikh further stated that Cabinet meeting before November 3, 2007 did not include the imposition of emergency on the agenda. On November 6, the then prime minister Shaukat Aziz apprised the Cabinet about the emergency and Shareefuddin Pirzada briefed the Cabinet. Furthermore, Shaukat Aziz had not sent any summary regarding the imposition of emergency as a prime minister. In fact, he had written a letter to the then president about the situation of the country which could not be considered as an advice.

The court, later, saved the order on provision of additional documents to the defence counsel and adjourned hearing till June 13.

On Wednesday, Barrister Farogh Naseem, the counsel for Musharraf in the treason trial, said the documents and details he had been asking for were not being provided to him.

“Justice Abdul Hameed Dogar among 110 judges who took oath under PCO (Provisional Constitution Order) and the members of Parliament who had passed a resolution in favour of November 2007 emergency, despite being abettors, are not being taken to task,” he maintained during today’s proceedings of treason trial against General Musharraf conducted by the three-judge special bench headed by Justice Faisal Arab.

Barrister Farogh Naseem demanded that the details of meetings held in Presidential residence and Army House be provided to him. “These details are important as they will unveil the identities of the people who had been holding meetings there as well as their agenda,” he argued.

He said some judges had also visited the Army House but their names were not being disclosed. “My objective is not to disrespect anyone,” he asserted.

Farogh Naseem further said the order to end the 2007 emergency and its summary have not been made unavailable, adding, the names and addresses of chief ministers, governors and members of Parliament who had passed the resolution be provided to him.

He also asked to make available the notification effecting the appointment of former army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

The former president’s counsel questioned as to why action was being taken only against his client and not the abettors.

Farogh Naseem further stated that he has to leave for London on Thursday (today) and he might have to stay longer.