LONDON: The Islamic State group claimed responsibility on Tuesday for a bombing in the British city of Manchester that killed 22 people, including children, at a concert. The group said in a statement published on its social media channels that “one of the caliphate soldiers placed bombs among the crowds,” and it threatened more attacks. Screaming fans, many of them teens, fled the venue in panic after the bomb blast at the end of the concert in the northern English city of Manchester on Monday evening. “There was heat on my neck and when I looked up there were bodies everywhere”, Elena Semino, who was waiting for her 17-year-old daughter, told the Guardian newspaper. Semino, who was herself injured, said she had been standing by the ticket office of the 21,000-capacity indoor Manchester Arena when the explosion went off.
More from World
TEL AVIV: US President Donald Trump spoke of a “rare opportunity” to bring stability to the region as he landed in Israel on Monday to seek ways to restart Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts. Trump also hailed the “unbreakable bond” between the … read more
RIYADH: Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have pledged $100 million to a women business fund supported by Ivanka Trump, daughter of the president who Monday wound up a visit to Riyadh. World Bank president Jim Yong Kim announced … read more
RIYADH: US President Donald Trump has implored Muslim leaders to take the lead in fighting extremism, speaking at a high-level summit in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The president, who is on his first foreign visit since taking office, spoke at the Arab … read more
KABUL: At least eight people were killed and twenty five others wounded in a powerful blast targeting a convoy of foreign forces near the US embassy in Kabul on Wednesday. Afghan interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish confirmed the casualties caused … read more