Sartaj expresses concern on ceasefire violation by India

ISLAMABAD: Advisor to Prime Minister on National Security and Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz Tuesday expressed his deep concern over the recent escalation of ceasefire violations at the Line of Control and Working Boundary by the Indian security forces.

Sartaj Aziz in a statement here said: “For seven days now the Indian security forces have been firing and shelling across the Line of Control and Working Boundary.” “Yesterday was Eid day but the Indian forces in complete disregard of the festive event carried on the fire and put four innocent lives to death,” he added.

He said the Eid day when Muslims celebrate the spirit of sacrifice, the Indian forces played havoc with the lives of four families whose dear ones embraced Shahadat (martyrdom).

Sartaj Aziz said it was sad that the Indian government had not been able to restrain its forces despite strong diplomatic protest by Pakistan. “We call upon the Indian government to immediately ceasefire and shelling and help us preserve tranquility,” he said.

He said the government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had been exercising utmost restraint and responsibility.

He said: “We also extended a hand of friendship to India. However with abrupt cancellation of Foreign Secretary level talks, the Indian side has shunned all our peace overtures. We hope that the Indian side would give peace a chance. Ceasefire at the Line of Control and the Working Boundary must be preserved in the larger interest of the region and the peoples of the two countries.”

Sartaj Aziz said: “We have often called for making full use of the channels available like hotline between DGMOs and Sector Commanders meetings but unfortunately all our efforts to secure peace and tranquility on the Line of Control and the Work Boundary have elicited no cooperation from the Indian side.”

He said UNMOGIP must also be enabled to play its due role in monitoring ceasefire to secure peace and tranquility on the Line of Control and Working Boundary.