MUMBAI: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt Thursday returned to Yerawada Central Jail in Pune to serve the remainder of his term after the the Maharashtra government, unwilling to court further controversy, rejected his application seeking an extension of his furlough by 14 days.
Home ministry officials said that they were awaiting a reply from the police department on the reasons behind Dutt’s fresh request for extension of furlough, made Dec 27.
Before leaving home in Mumbai this afternoon, Dutt had told media persons that his application for extension of his 14-day furlough, which began Dec 24, was still under process.
“We made the request for extension the furlough Dec 27 and it is still under process. As the laws stipulate that I must surrender myself if I am not granted the extension, I am doing it now,” he said.
The 55-year-old, who is currently serving a five-year jail term since nearly 18 months, had applied for the furlough in November.
During his leave of absence from the jail, Dutt spent time with his family — wife Maanyata, son Shahraan and daughter Iqra — as well as his string of friends from the Hindi film fraternity.
A special screening of Rajkumar Hirani’s controversial movie “PK” was also organised for Dutt, who also features in a cameo in the Aamir Khan-starrer. Post the screening, he said he loved “PK” for being an “honest film”.
Dutt also welcomed the New Year with a party at his residence. His friends from showbiz and his family members were in attendance.
When Dutt had come out on the furlough, he left media persons surprised by flaunting his washboard abs, revealing that he had worked towards eight-pack abs while in jail. He even said that he had lost 18 kg and that he has managed to pen “10 scripts” during his sentence so far.
Dutt’s frequent demands of a furlough have oft raised controversy.