North Korea may be preparing for to test-launch an upgraded prototype of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), South Korean Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported on Thursday. The report that intelligence agencies had observed missile parts, believed to be the lower-half of an ICBM, being mobilised in the North, raising fears of an imminent missile test. In his new year speech the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, boasted that a test launch would happen soon and state media has said a launch could come at any time. That test launch could coincide with the inauguration of Donald Trump as president on Friday, South Korean media said.
• $50 billion wiped off ASX after nuclear blast
• Fire destroys 100 vehicles at car yard
• Transparency watchdog returns
• Football: Blatter hit with FIFA bribery probe
• N Korea claims hydrogen bomb test