NEW YORK: United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai a UN Messenger of Peace to promote girls education. A ceremony to this effect was held at the U.N. headquarters in New York. Speaking on the occasion, the UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres praised her unwavering commitment to peace and resolve to foster a better world.(01) At 19, Yousafzai is the youngest Messenger of Peace, the highest honor given by the United Nations for an initial period of two years.
• $50 billion wiped off ASX after nuclear blast
• Fire destroys 100 vehicles at car yard
• Transparency watchdog returns
• Football: Blatter hit with FIFA bribery probe
• N Korea claims hydrogen bomb test