Actress Meghan Markle has asked for time off from filming her Suits television show just days after her romance to Prince Harry was confirmed.
The 34-year-old star is said to have told her bosses she needs time off from filming in Toronto this week because of ‘something important’ she has to do, Page Six reports.
There is speculation she is meeting with lawyers after she was catapulted into the media spotlight when Prince Harry, 32, issued an extraordinary statement on his love life this week.
Harry’s relationship with the Suits star, which began a few months ago, was announced in a strongly worded statement by Kensington Palace that described the ‘wave of abuse and harassment’ she has experienced since the couple’s news broke.
The royal said he was ‘worried about Ms Markle’s safety’ and ‘deeply disappointed that he has not been able to protect her’.
He lashed out at media intrusion and the ‘sexism and racism of social media trolls’ in a statement which said ‘this is not a game – it is her life and his’.
He added that the actress had also experienced ‘the smear on the front page of a national newspaper’.
The royal’s secret love affair with the star was revealed less than a fortnight ago on Sunday, October 30 after they were given away by matching friendship bracelets they have both worn for months.
Markle shared photograph after photograph of her wearing the African-style jewellery on her near-monthly trips to London – and the actress is believed to have charmed the royal when he visited Toronto in May.
Harry met the actress – who is best known for her role as Rachel Zane in US legal drama Suits – at a function while he was promoting his Invictus Games in the Canadian city, where she is based.
They had been seeing each other secretly since then, spending time together in London and Canada, and Markle has dined with Prince William and Kate, as well as Harry’s father Prince Charles.
The statement from Kensington Palace continued on to say: ‘He is also aware that there is significant curiosity about his private life. He has never been comfortable with this, but he has tried to develop a thick skin.’
‘Harry has been very aware of the warmth that has been extended to him by members of the public. He feels lucky to have so many people supporting him and knows what a fortunate and privileged life he leads.’
The letter – issued by Jason Knauf, Harry’s communications secretary at Kensington Palace – added that there had also been attempts by members of the press to get into Markle’s home.
Although linked to a number of women including singer Ellie Goulding and Camilla Thurlow, Harry has been an eligible bachelor since he split from long-term girlfriend Cressida Bonas more than two years ago.
But last Sunday he scrapped a secret trip to Canada to meet with his new lover after details of their six-month relationship emerged in the press.
Harry was booked on a British Airways flight from Heathrow to Toronto at 11.30am and due to land in the Canadian city at 3.30pm on Sunday but was a ‘no show’, a source said.
Hours, before he was due to leave the country claims they had been seeing each other for nearly six months, broke in Britain.